Safety in Action Quiz: 2017
1. What is the first thing you do when you see someone knocked off their bicycle?
A Run into the road to help them
B Check it is safe before you help them
C Move them if they are injured
D Give them a drink as they may be suffering with shock
2. Which one of these don't you do when calling the emergency services?
A Tell them which service you require
B Dial 911
C Use a mobile phone with no credit
D Tell them where you are
3. When you find someone unconscious and you have confirmed they are not responding, what do you do next (Remember DRAB )
A Check they are breathing, then tilt their head back to open their airway?
B Put them straight into the recovery position?
C Check for danger?
D Open their airway and then check whether they are breathing?
4. You have checked it is safe, given first aid treatment to the unconscious person and phoned the emergency services - what should you do next?
A Go home?
B Stay with the injured person until the ambulance arrives?
C Leave the casualty to talk to the other people around?
D Go and get something to eat and drink?
5. When on a trampoline, how many people should safely bounce at the same time?
6. Where should you bounce on a trampoline?
A Around the edge
B In the middle
C Anywhere - it does not matter
D On the opposite side, away from the person bouncing
7. What should you do to make sure your bicycle helmet fits?
A You wear it tilted so it is on the back of your head
B Make sure the adjustable 'toggles' are just under your ears
C Do the strap up as tight as you can
D Make sure the helmet is a bit smaller than you head
8 Where is the safest place to ride your scooter?
A On the edge of the road where the surface is smooth
B At the skate park
C On a gravel path
D On the grass at the park
Beach and water safety
9. What do the red flags on the beach mean?
A It is dangerous to go in the sea
B It is safe to swim in the sea
C This part of the beach is not clean
D There is a lifeguard on duty so you can swim
10. What do the red and yellow flags on the beach mean?
A It is dangerous to go in the sea
B It is safe to surf
C Where the ice cream van is
D There is a lifeguard on duty and you can swim between the flags
11. What is the best thing to do when you go swimming in the sea?
A Swim near a boat
B Swim with a friend or adult
C Swim with an inflatable to help you float
D Swim on your own so you don't get in the way
12. You are in trouble in the sea. What do you do?
A Put one hand in the air and shout for help
B Put your hand in the air and wait for someone to see you
C Try to swim out to sea
D Put both hands in the air and wait for someone to see you
13. What is the most important thing to look for when trying to find a safe place to cross the road?
A Find somewhere with a wide pavement on both sides of the road
B Find somewhere quiet so you can hear traffic coming
C Find a road where you can see traffic coming easily and they can see you
D Find a narrow road, so you can cross more easily
14. When using a 'traffic light crossing' or a ‘zebra crossing' to cross the road, what is the most important thing for you to do before crossing the road, when the green man is showing or you want to cross the road at a zebra crossing?
A Make sure I am standing at the edge of the pavement, so I can easily be seen by others
B Make sure all the traffic has stopped before crossing the road
C Wait for a grown up to start to cross the road because then you know it's safe
D Wait for drivers to waive you across the road
15. If you are crossing the road, where there is a traffic island in the middle of the road, which of the following is the correct answer?
A The traffic MUST stop to let me cross the road.
B You should NEVER cross the road by a traffic island, as these are only for traffic to use.
C You MUST wait for the traffic to pass and cross when there is a safe gap.
D You MUST wait on the pavement until the tall yellow lights at these crossings flash to tell you it is safe to cross the road.
16 .When you arrive at a ‘traffic light crossing' and the ‘green man' goes on and off or just goes out, what should you do?
A Just keep crossing it's perfectly safe; the cars will wait for you.
B Run quickly or you will have to wait for another go
C You should stop at the crossing and press the button and wait for the green man to come on again
D Take extreme care as the lights are broken.
17. On which day should you check your smoke alarm?
A On your birthday
B On Christmas Day
C On the first of every month
D On Halloween
18. What should you do if your smoke alarm goes off?
A Shout to alert everyone then get out, stay out and call 999
B Get everyone out then go back in to rescue the pets
C Get under the duvet in your bedroom
D Go and find out what is on fire and try to put it out
19. How should you move through smoke, to escape from a smoke filled house?
A Run as fast as you can holding your breath
B Crawl beneath the smoke and go backwards down the stairs
C Walk as carefully as possible forwards down the stairs
D Get a damp cloth and put it in front of your face so you don't breathe in smoke, then get out
20. There is a fire in your house and you can't get out, what should you do?
A Jump out of the nearest window, even if it is too high to jump
B Try and put the fire out yourself
C Get everyone into a room, put bedding or clothes at the bottom of the door, call 999, open a window and shout for help
D Put bedding at the bottom of the door and get into the nearest wardrobe.
21. Where is the best place to keep matches and lighters?
A In the fruit bowl
B On the table next to the candles
C In a cupboard or drawer out of sight
D At the back of the kitchen work surface
22. How do your prevent a burn?
A Leave a boiling kettle at the front of the work surface
B Use oven gloves when handling things from the oven or grill
C Leave metal spoons in a pan whilst cooking
D Use a metal fork to remove bread from a toaster
23. Where is the best place to store your lunch bag?
A At the bottom of the stairs
B In the fridge next to tomorrow's food
C In a cupboard or shelf out of the way
D On the cooker or oven hob where it can be clearly seen
24. How do you safely use a microwave?
A Always cook food in metal containers
A Let the hot food stand for 1 minute before eating it
A Turn on the empty microwave to warm it up
A Leave the door wide open when not being used